Edited by Andrew Morkes, Editorial Director of College & Career Press and the author of the Vault Career Guide to Healthcare Management
Foreword by Benjamin D. Anderson, M.B.A., Chief Executive Officer, Kearny County Hospital, and named to Becker’s Hospital Review’s “25 Healthcare Leaders Under 40” list in 2015
Hot Health Care Careers:
30 Occupations With Fast Growth and Many New Job Openings, 2nd Edition
NEW EDITION AVAILABLE!
Table of Contents
Health care jobs are a popular career option for students who enjoy helping others and learning about cutting-edge science and treatment methods! Here are some statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor that provide information on the promising career opportunities in the health care industry:
- Employment in the health care and social assistance industry will grow by 19 percent from 2014 to 2024—more than triple the average employment growth for all industries.
- 19 of the top 25 fastest-growing careers through 2024 are health care–related.
- No other industry will add more jobs (more than 3.6 million) than the health care field from 2014-24.
- 7 of the top 20 careers that will add the most new positions through 2024 are in the health care industry.
The second edition of Hot Health Care Careers features the hottest of the hot health care careers for people from all educational backgrounds—from high school diplomas to medical degrees. Some of the jobs that are featured include Advanced Practice Nurse, Biomedical Engineer, Dental Hygienist, Health Care Manager, Health Information Management Specialist, Licensed Practical Nurse, Mental Health Counselor, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Physician, and Registered Nurse.
Each career article provides an overview of the job and typical work environments, educational requirements, personal skills, methods of exploring the career while still in high school, tips on landing a job, typical employers, information on the long-term employment outlook and hot specialties, and sources of additional information. The book also features nearly 25 interviews with professionals and educators, photographs, and useful sidebars that list books, websites, fun facts, and other helpful information.
What’s new in the second edition of Hot Health Care Careers?
- 5 new career articles: Creative Arts Therapists, Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, Medical Illustrators and Photographers, Medical Interpreters and Translators, and Orthotic and Prosthetic Professionals
- Information on more than 40 summer, college exploration programs throughout the United States for those interested in careers in health care
- Information on more than 35 college scholarships for students interested in entering health care careers; awards range from $500 to $20,000
- 15 new interviews with health care professionals (nearly 25 total interviews)
- More than 40 new sidebars focusing on emerging careers (disease mapper, medical scribe, nurse informaticist, radiosurgeons, etc.), changing educational requirements, the best places to work in health care, and useful educational and career websites
What Reviewers Are Saying:
Midwest Book Review, Small Press Bookwatch, May 2017
“Hot Health Care Careers: 30 Occupations with Fast Growth and Many New Job Openings lives up to its title as an excellent guide for selecting an in-demand health care career to pursue. The updated second edition presents a wealth of new content, including new career articles on Creative Arts Therapists, Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, Medical Illustrators and Photographers, Medical Interpreters and Translators, and Orthotic and Prosthetic Professionals. Information-packed and easy-to-browse, Hot Health Care Careers is enthusiastically recommended for public and college library collections, as well as the reading lists of students and labor market entrants!
Interested in ordering via mail or email? If so, click here to access an order form in PDF format.